Vitamin b12 is a water soluble vitamin that has several benefits for the human body. Our body does not produce this vitamin b12. We can only obtain it by consumption of food or supplements. About 6%- 20% of people have a deficiency or have low levels of vitamin b12. This deficiency can occur when your diet lacks adequate amounts, or you have a gastrointestinal disorder.
1. Maintain Energy Levels and boosts metabolism
- Vitamin b12 is used to convert carbohydrates into glucose. Glucose is then used by the body for energy. When there is a deficiency of vitamin b12 patients experience fatigue because of the lack of support for glucose production
2. Improves mood and symptoms of depression
- Vitamin b12 plays a major role in synthesizing and metabolizing serotonin, a chemical responsible for regulating our mood. When there is a deficiency of vitamin b12 there is a decrease in serotonin production. This then leads to mood changes that may cause depression.
3. Helps red blood cell production
- Vitamin b12 aids in help your body produce red blood cells. When you have a deficiency of b12 it causes a reduction in red cell formation and prevent them developing properly.
4. Supports healthy hair, skin, and nails
- Vitamin b12 is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. B12 deficiency causes hyperpigmentation, nail discoloration, angular stomatitis, and vitiligo.
5. Supports bone health
- For our body to build osteoblasts we need to have adequate amounts of vitamin b12. Vitamin b12 deficiency leads to decrease mineral density. Overtime this leads to fragile and delicate bones.